Von: mems-talk-bounces+aboedecker=imsas.uni-bremen.de@memsnet.org
[mailto:mems-talk-bounces+aboedecker=imsas.uni-bremen.de@memsnet.org] Im
Auftrag von Aaron Glatzer
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 2. Juli 2014 19:42
An: mems-talk@memsnet.org
Betreff: [mems-talk] KOH etch surface "craters"

We are etching some 300 micron deep trenches using KOH, and we are
occasionally getting "craters" in the trench bottom surface.  These are 2-4
micron deep 50-75 micron wide spots on the bottom of the trench.

Is this typical for KOH etch?  Has anyone else seen this kind of thing?  Any

idea what causes it?

Technical details:

<100> silicon.

Masked with 2kA low stress LPCVD nitride.

Nitride etched with SF6 plasma RIE; we guesstimate we etch 2000A into the Si

(based on known-etchrate, and observed overetch time on endpoint signal).

Resist stripped in O2-ash/piranha/O2-ash sequence.

KOH 45%, etched at 85C, for about 5.5 hours.

Typically we get a mildly textured surface (per optical inspection), but as
indicated above occasionally we get what look in microscope like blisters,
but optical profilometer indicates is actually a "crater".

Any insight into this is appreciated.

thank you,
Aaron G.

--

Aaron Glatzer                                           phone (419) 241-6963
x13

---
protection is active.