durusmail: mems-talk: KOH etch surface "craters"
KOH etch surface "craters"
Mehmet Dokmeci (3 parts)
KOH etch surface "craters"
Brian Stahl
2014-07-07
This cratering is not exclusive to KOH etch chemistries - I observed the
same defects when etching ~500um deep square wells with TMAH.  I have also
observed them on commercial AFM cantilever chips.

I never conclusively determined the cause, but I strongly suspect the
cratering is due to a crystallographic defect in the silicon - either
dislocation cores or voids that form from aggregation of point vacancies.
 There is an activation energy for vacancy formation and their equilibrium
concentration is therefore temperature-dependent.  During cooling from a
high-temperature annealing or oxidation process the vacancies generally
don't escape to a free surface, so they aggregate and form voids; these
voids can also form during ingot cooling in the Czochralski process.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Brian Stahl, Ph.D.
Apeel Sciences