From: mems-talk-bounces+deepkishore=yahoo.com@memsnet.org
[mailto:mems-talk-bounces+deepkishore=yahoo.com@memsnet.org] On Behalf Of
Sebastian R Freeman
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:01 AM
To: mems-talk@memsnet.org
Subject: [mems-talk] RIE Silicon etching

Hi everyone,

I am etching a 4-inch silicon wafer in the RIE using O2, and CF4, in
combination. Using positive photoresist, my goal is to create an array of
silicon pillars covering the surface of the wafer. I am trying to push the
limits of the machine, and trying to etch several microns. I etched for 5
minutes and was able to get 1.5 micron tall pillars, the wafer came out of
the machine very dirty, with a film-like residue on it, and looking very
scratched up. I think I might have an idea of what this is, but I would
appreciate anyone else's input, or a way to prevent it.

*Sebastian Freeman*
*Ph.D Student*

*Binghamton University *

*Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering* *Department of Bioengineering*
*Office: Biotechnology Building 2629*
*E-mail: sfreema1@binghamton.edu *