durusmail: quixote-users: Introducing myself, a small bug and RPMs for Quixote
Introducing myself, a small bug and RPMs for Quixote
Seeking a Small Example of Forms/Widget Usage
Re: Seeking a Small Example of Forms/Widget Usage
Mystery re ZODB Technique in vfab
An Example of Quixote/ZODB/Grouch Usage
Grouch and ZODB
Introducing myself, a small bug and RPMs for Quixote
Greg Ward
2001-11-12
On 12 November 2001, Jeff Rush said:
> I did this for
> Zope (I'm the Zope RPM maintainer) and now you can get RPMs for
> Quixote at:
>
>   http://www.taupro.com/static/RPMs/

Cool.  I'll add a link to the main Quixote page.  Just which RPM-based
distribution is this for, anyways?

> After wrestling with Zope for years

Wow, you must be a very patient man.  We struggled with Zope for four or
five months before we know that it was Just Wrong.

> I'm hoping Quixote might be a
> better fit for a command-line/text-mode/python/CVS-style programmer
> like myself. ;-)

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

> I'm hooking Quixote into an instance of ZEO/ZODB and porting my
> general ledger application originally written for pre-Zope Bobo
> and DocumentTemplate, talking to a python backend (business logic)
> via Fnorb/CORBA running Solid Tech SQL database (via mxODBC.Solid).
>
> I'm hoping to dump Solid and Fnorb for ZEO/ZODB instead, with the
> business logic residing in a separate namespace, as discussed
> last month on this mailing list.

Hey wow, we used to use Solid too.  SQL sucks, eh?

One major thing you need to remember about ZEO is that security is
entirely up to you (ie. your firewall and/or which interface(s) ZEO
binds to).  Once someone is talking to the ZEO socket, they have
complete, total, and unhindered access to your database.  OK, SQL
doesn't *completely* suck.  ;-)

Feel free to ask for advice on how to write a Quixote app on top of
ZODB/ZEO.  That's what we do for a living.  It works pretty well.

Oh, be sure to ask for our zeod script -- Andrew and Neil have fixed
many bogosities; I don't know how many have gotten back into ZC's CVS.

> I also stumbled across the tiny bug below in my packaging...
>
> -- snip -- quixote/session.py -- missing call to k.sort()
> # and here's one real dictionaries *should* have ;-)
>     def sorted_keys (self):
>         k = self.sessions.keys()
>         return k
> -- snip --

D'oh!  That must date back to before we factored our
PersistentSessionManager out.  Fixed in CVS; one more reason for a 0.4.2
release.

> Anyway, Quixote is COOL and I hope to help enhance/document it.

Glad to have you aboard -- welcome!

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org