durusmail: quixote-users: Ubuntu "Jaunty" Quixote package broken
Ubuntu "Jaunty" Quixote package broken
using compile_package rather than enable_ptl
Ubuntu "Jaunty" Quixote package broken
Robert Ladyman
2009-05-18
Ian - I've had no luck with Python 2.6 (OpenSuse 11.1) and had to revert to
11.0 (Python 2.5). I also had the mxDateTime issues.

....and no, no workaround.

One thing that struck me: perhaps Quixote main version numbers (2.5.xx, 2.6.xx
or whatever) could match the Python version they run on. they almost do now.

> Hi All
>
> Others have reported on the "ihooks" import bug, as well as problems
> with mxDatetime. This post relates to those bugs.
>
> I have a site running quixote for some one of our internal applications.
> It runs on a Debian box currently running "lenny", which by default
> installs python 2.5 and quixote 2.5, so far so good.
>
> I have a desktop machine which runs "Ubuntu" which I have recently
> upgraded to "Jaunty". I have a copy of the application installed on this
> box for that I user for development. Ubunty Jaunty by default installs
> Python 2.6 and Quixote 2.5.
>
> First problem is the "ihooks import bug". The application no longer
> works. The work around for this is to include in the appropriate
> __init__.py:
>
>   from quixote.ptl import compile_package
>   compile_package(__path__)
>
> The problem is that "compile_package" is not present in Quixote 2.5, it
> first appeared in Quixote 2.6.
>
> I am not sure if it is a known requirement to upgrade to Quixote 2.6
> before installing Python 2.6, but the net result of the above bugs and
> workaround implies that this is the case. In the meantime, the default
> packages in Ubuntu Jaunty are not useable.
>
> I have also en-counted import errors relating to mxDatetime. I am not
> sure if these will go away if the above workaround is in place, or if
> users are encountering problems with mxDatetime + Python 2.6 even if
> they are not using Quixote.
>
> The work-around seems to be run the application under Python 2.5. (If
> anybody can point to simple "Howto" to run a non default version of
> Python on Debian or Ubuntu it might save me some time.)
>
> Thanks
>

> Ian

Robert Ladyman
File-Away Limited, 32 Church Street, Newtyle
Perthshire, PH12 8TZ SCOTLAND
Tel: +44 (0) 1828 898 158
Mobile: +44 (0) 7732 771 649
http://www.file-away.co.uk