durusmail: quixote-users: Ubuntu "Jaunty" Quixote package broken
Ubuntu "Jaunty" Quixote package broken
using compile_package rather than enable_ptl
Ubuntu "Jaunty" Quixote package broken
Michael Watkins
2009-05-18
> Robert Ladyman wrote:
> Debian Lenny behaves better, the standard install supports Quixote when
> running either Python 2.5 or Python 2.4. I know very little about Python
> packaging under Debian/Ubuntu, but I am learning more then I ever
> intended ...

You could always install Quixote from source.

Pick the Python you wish to run, and install it, if not already done.

Download the Quixote tarball, extract it somewhere, and execute "python2.6
setup.py install" as root or via sudo. Specify the python version on the
command line if you have more than one Python, just to be certain. You can
do the same with the MX Datetime package as well.

This all presumes you have a working compiler environment on board, which
is usually a safe bet on all but the most stripped down of Linux/Unixes.

There is little to no danger that you'll mess up your Debian or Ubuntu
system by installing something as innocuous as a Python package; the
installed files will be deposited in
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages -- you can always manually remove
the package if you need to at some later date.

reply