durusmail: mems-talk: Spacer material
Spacer material
Morten Aarøe
2008-11-12
Hi,

If you need low tolerance, don't use any kind of adhesive, as it will
invariably give you very different results, and add to the thickness.
Also, I would imagine that 100µm metal sheets will be very flexible
and/or soft, leading to variations by depression or by bending.

My best advice would be to use a double-side polished silicon wafer of
the thickness you need. If needed you can etch a hole in the middle to
make an annular spacer, or you could just use seperate pieces at
different places of the glass plates. If you need to fix it permanently
to your glass plates, you may be able to bond it anodically(depending on
your glass), which does not involve adhesives. Alternatively fusion
bonding might be an option as well. Of course, with or without bonding,
the tolerance is only as good as the surface you have, so make sure it
is clean before mounting.

Good luck with it

// Morten Aaroe
Ph.D-student
DTU Physics
Technical University of Denmark

Nicolas Vergauwe wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Could you suggest me a spacer material for separating two (horizontal) glass
> plates? The spacer should have a thickness of 100 µm, but more importantly,
> the thickness tolerance should be as low as possible. Also, the spacer needs
> to be fixed manually on the glass plate: it cannot be processed on the glass
> plate but it has to be attached afterwards.
>
> I thought of using a thin metal sheet and then glue it to the glass plate,
> but I don’t know if it will be the best way.
>
> Any help or ideas are welcome!
>
> Nicolas
reply