durusmail: mems-talk: Spacer material
Spacer material
Brad Cantos
2008-11-12
Nicholas,

There have already been some good suggestions, but here is another, if

not as elegant.  You can purchase glass spheres with the required
dimension.  Assuming that your parts can handle the heat and pressure

required, mix the spheres into a glass frit material and apply the
mixture to the substrate.  The glass frit will not give as much
variation as adhesives.  Assemble your glass plates and cure while
applying a small pressure.  I did this years ago working on display
technology.

Brad Cantos

On Nov 12, 2008, at 12:43 AM, Nicolas Vergauwe wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Could you suggest me a spacer material for separating two
> (horizontal) glass
> plates? The spacer should have a thickness of 100 =B5m, but more
> importantly,
> the thickness tolerance should be as low as possible. Also, the
> spacer needs
> to be fixed manually on the glass plate: it cannot be processed on
> the glass
> plate but it has to be attached afterwards.
>
> I thought of using a thin metal sheet and then glue it to the glass

> plate,
> but I don=92t know if it will be the best way.
>
> Any help or ideas are welcome!
>
> Nicolas
reply