durusmail: mems-talk: Deposition of Chromium and Platinum
Deposition of Chromium and Platinum
Deposition of Chromium and Platinum
Edward Sebesta
2009-01-19
Your substrate can have a layer of contamination that isn't visible, but
will prevent good adhesion and you can have rough metal.

This contamination can be on the substrate prior to placing it in your
deposition equipment or it can be from the deposition equipment itself.

1. Cleans: Oxidizing acid cleans are good. HF dips can be good. Resist
stripper cleans should be followed by D.I. water and rinsed very
thoroughly.

I am always concerned about cleans that are dips in alcohols, acetone,
alkanes, and aromatics. The solvent needs to be electronic grade and
fresh so you don't leave a layer of organics from the solvent. The
solvent itself can leave a molecular layer of itself. Having your
substrate heated in vacuum can be helpful to remove organics.

Descums in barrel ashers that are clean can be helpful in not only
removing organics but providing bonding sites on the surface.

2. Pump Systems: Mechanical and Diffusion pumps can back stream
organics. This will coat your sample and result in poor adhesion. Dry
pumps are used just for that reason. Cryo pumps are great.

3. Chamber Contamination: The walls of the chamber can be a resevoir for
contamination. You might want to have the chamber heated up under pump
down and baked out for an hour before loading your samples. Make sure
your carriers are clean and baked out as well. It might be a good idea
to have a leak up rate done weekly on the chamber as well.

4. Wrong Lubrication: Sometimes a grease can be used that isn't a vacuum
grease. For a vacuum system it would be preferable to have no grease.

5. Wrong O-rings: The O-ring may have been handy when someone did a
repair but it is outgassing like crazy.

6. Substrate: Is it really a solid substrate or is it something that
isn't 100% solid, or can have outdiffusion. Some ceramic parts look
solid but they have some small percentage void space. Plastics and other
seemingly solid materials may outgas. The solution would be to have a
sit time for 10 to 30 minutes to allow outgass. Don't start deposition
just because you reach base pressure. Your pumping speed could outpace
the outgassing of your substrate but you still have a need to degass
your part.

7. Target cleanliness: Was it cleaned before installation and baked out?

Edward Sebesta
Independent Semiconductor and MEMS Engineer.