durusmail: mems-talk: releasing layer for PDMS mold
releasing layer for PDMS mold
releasing layer for PDMS mold
Bill Moffat
2010-07-01
Maggie,
       I am pleased you are using Gelest, their Silane catalogue is super
helpful.  They also have in house experts that can help you with questions about
the reaction of their chemicals.  Your problem is with the method used to get
the silane reaction.  The most important part is to have no moisture or Oxygen
present when the reaction starts.  With the silane in a separate heated
container put the substrate in a heated vacuum oven.  Then pull a series of
vacuum/hot Nitrogen purges.  At a vacuum of 10 Torr water boils at 11 degrees C
so total dehydration is a simple matter of multiple purges and sufficient
vacuum.  We use 3 purges then a vacuum of 1 Torr.  At 1 Torr water boils at -20
degrees C, so total dehydration.  Also with multiple vacuum/Nitrogen purges you
remove all the Oxygen.  Now open a valve between the warm silane and the process
chamber.  The result is the warm silane vapor sees no moisture, no Oxygen and
reacts with the Hydroxyl ions on your substrate with perfect adhesion, and
perfect contact angle for releasing layers.  Contact me for multiple technical
papers on the subject.  Bill Moffat