durusmail: mems-talk: PDMS bonding to silicon for micro-channel heat sinks
PDMS bonding to silicon for micro-channel heat sinks
PDMS bonding to silicon for micro-channel heat sinks
Bill Moffat
2015-06-16
Plasma bonding works well on any size wafers. I have bonded a flat glass slide
to a elastic DNA well construction with only 30 seconds of Argon plasma. When
laid face to face the bonding was immediate and I broke numerous glass slides
trying to separate them. Bill Moffat

Sent from my iPad

wrote:

> Hello Nathan,
>
> dicing away the area of the edge bead is the only way.
>
> Regards,
> André

:mems-talk-bounces+aboedecker=imsas.uni-bremen.de@memsnet.org] Im Auftrag von
Nathan McCorkle
> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. Juni 2015 20:29
> An: General MEMS discussion
> Betreff: Re: [mems-talk] PDMS bonding to silicon for micro-channel heat sinks
>
>> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 10:37 PM, André Bödecker  wrote:
>> Hello Leily,
>>
>> anodic bonding is an expensive, but very reliable process. Structuring
>> of glass wafers is not a big problem. You can contact me if you are
interested.

>> Bonding with PDMS normally needs only an oxygen plasma activation of
>> the surfaces. There are also some special adhesion promoters if
>> necessary. But a tight bonding will only work if the PDMS has a good
>> uniformity and that will be a difficulty over a whole 100 mm wafer, I
>> assume. We use the Sylgard 184 2k-silicone ("PDMS"; Dow Corning). Even
>> spin-coating leads to an edge bead which inhibits a complete contact between
two wafers.

> How do you get around this? Do you adjust the spin-coating or viscosity of the
resin? Or do you simply cut/dice the bead area away?