durusmail: mems-talk: releasing cantilever beams without release holes
releasing cantilever beams without release holes
releasing cantilever beams without release holes
Kagan Topalli
2010-09-21
Dear Nahid,

If the cantilever width is about 200 um as you mentioned in your next
message, I do not think you will be able to release the structure in a
reasonable process times (particularly with dry etch). 200 um is very
large width to have such an undercut with dry etch. However, if your
sacrificial layer can be wet-etched without giving any damage to any
other layers, you can try very long etch (e.g. overnight) to release
your cantilevers (you may provide agitation and swirling in the etchant
by using a magnetic stirrer).

Best,

Kagan Topalli
Postdoctoral Researcher
ElectroScience Laboratory
The Ohio State University
1320 Kinnear Road
Columbus, Ohio 43212
http://www.electroscience.osu.edu/
e-mail: topalli.1@osu.edu

On 2:59 PM, nahid vahabi wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Just wondering if any of you guys have released a structure like  cantilever
> beams without release holes. There was a mistake in the mask and now we try to
> find a good recipe for dry or wet etch to release the structure.
>
> Any comments are appreciated.
>
> Nahid
reply